DESCRIPTION: This is a collaborative project of the national HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN), protocol #073 (HPTN 073). The trial will test Truvada®, an HIV treatment medication, for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). PrEP is a new HIV prevention method in which people who are HIV-negative can be prescribed a daily HIV treatment drug to reduce their risk of becoming infected. The FDA approved Truvada® for use as PrEP in 2012. The Los Angeles site will enroll 75 BMSM over a one-year period.
OUTCOMES: Key findings may be found at this link. CBAM staff and faculty contributed to the following publications from this study.
1. Hightow-Weidman LB, Magnus M, Beauchamp G, Hurt CB, Shoptaw S, Emel L, Piwowar-Manning E, Mayer KH, Nelson LE, Wilton L, Watkins P, Whitfield D, Fields SD, Wheeler D. Incidence and Correlates of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Black Men Who Have Sex With Men Participating in the HIV Prevention Trials Network 073 Preexposure Prophylaxis Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Oct 15;69(9):1597-1604. PMID: 30615169; PMCID: PMC6792108.
2. Wheeler DP, Fields SD, Beauchamp G, Chen YQ, Emel LM, Hightow-Weidman L, Hucks-Ortiz C, Kuo I, Lucas J, Magnus M, Mayer KH, Nelson LE, Hendrix CW, Piwowar-Manning E, Shoptaw S, Watkins P, Watson CC, Wilton L. Pre-exposure prophylaxis initiation and adherence among Black men who have sex with men (MSM) in three US cities: results from the HPTN 073 study. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Feb;22(2):e25223. PMID: 30768776; PMCID: PMC6376611.
3. Wheeler DP, Lucas J, Wilton L, Nelson LE, Hucks-Ortiz C, Watson CC, Hutchinson C, Mayer KH, Kuo I, Magnus M, Beauchamp G, Shoptaw S, Emel LM, Chen YQ, Hightow-Weidman L, Fields SD. Building effective multilevel HIV prevention partnerships with Black men who have sex with men: experience from HPTN 073, a pre-exposure prophylaxis study in three US cities. J Int AIDS Soc. 2018 Oct;21 Suppl 7(Suppl Suppl 7):e25180. PMID: 30334600; PMCID: PMC6193312.
4. Zhang Y, Clarke W, Marzinke MA, Piwowar-Manning E, Beauchamp G, Breaud A, Hendrix CW, Cloherty GA, Emel L, Rose S, Hightow-Weidman L, Siegel M, Shoptaw S, Fields SD, Wheeler D, Eshleman SH. Evaluation of a Multidrug Assay for Monitoring Adherence to a Regimen for HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis in a Clinical Study, HIV Prevention Trials Network 073. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Jun 27;61(7):e02743-16.PMID: 28438932; PMCID: PMC5487665.
5. Whitfield DL, Beauchamp G, Fields S, Nelson L, Magnus M, Dācus JD, Paul J, Anderson P, Wheeler D. Risk compensation in HIV PrEP adherence among Black men who have sex with men in HPTN 073 study. AIDS Care. 2021 May;33(5):633-638. Epub 2020 Aug 24. PMID: 32835494; PMCID: PMC7902733.
6. Whitfield DL, Nelson LE, Komárek A, Turner D, Ni Z, Boyd DT, Taggart T, Ramos SR, Wilton L, Beauchamp GG, Hightow-Weidman L, Shoptaw SJ, Magnus M, Mayer KH, Fields SD, Wheeler DP; H. I. V. Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) 073 Study Team. Implementation of Client-Centered Care Coordination for HIV Prevention with Black Men Who Have Sex with Men: Activities, Personnel Costs, and Outcomes-HPTN 073. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2022 Jan 8. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34997550.
7. Dangerfield DT 2nd, Kuo I, Magnus M, Beauchamp G, Fields SD, Nelson L, Shoptaw S, Wilton L, Wheeler DP. Sexual Risk Profiles Among Black Sexual Minority Men: Implications for Targeted PrEP Messaging. Arch Sex Behav. 2021 Oct;50(7):2947-2954. Epub 2021 Sep 29. PMID: 34590218.
8. Ramos SR, Beauchamp G, Wheeler DP, Wilton L, Whitfield DL, Boyd DT, Hightow-Weidman L, Fields SD, Nelson LE, On Behalf Of The Hptn Team. Optimizing PrEP Continuance: A Secondary Analysis Examining Perceived Autonomy Support and Care Coordination Quality among Black MSM in HPTN 073. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022 Apr 8;19(8):4489. PMID: 35457367; PMCID: PMC9026517.